The purpose of the Primary School Counselor is to help student’s academic, social-emotional, and career development. To help all students grow in these areas CPU offers:
- SOAR Lessons are provided during Specials throughout the year some of the main topics are feelings, friendships, bullying, self-esteem, and overall good character traits.
- Individual counseling is offered to students who may need extra support in friendship skills, family issues, grief, and transitions for incoming and outgoing students. Students can be referred by parents, teachers, or the school counselor to participate in individual counseling.
- Groups are run on an as needed basis. All students may be invited to participate in a group around topics that include new students, friendship, social skills, changing families, and self-control. Students can be referred by parents, teachers, or the school counselor to participate in a group.
- Coordination of students’ success with staff and parents occurs when students are in need of extra support and we provide time-on-task analysis, a behavior intervention plan, and outside agency referrals if needed.
Tips for Parents
Use these tips at home to help support your child’s growth and development.
- ICAN has some great tips for developmental stages birth-high school
- Protect your child from bullying
- Build self-esteem in children
- How to deal with friendship issues
- Help your child build friends
- Teaching emotions and feelings
- Empathy vs. Sympathy
Social Emotional Learning and Mindfulness
Below are some activities you can do at home to help your child’s social emotional development.